- Pressing the engine start/stop button two times in rapid succession.
- Depressing the brake pedal very briefly while pressing the engine start/stop button.
BMW also detailed which models are impacted:
- 2020 BMW 540i, 540i xDrive (5,375 vehicles)
- 2020-2021 BMW 745Le xDrive (470 vehicles)
- 2020 BMW M340i, M340i xDrive (10,877 vehicles)
- 2020 BMW X3 M40i (14,006 vehicles)
- 2020-2021 BMW X4 M40i (4,130 vehicles)
- 2019-2021 BMW Z4 M40i (2,151 vehicles)
BMW has identified 29 warranty claims and four field reports relating to the issue. Owners will receive notification of the recall by Oct. 1, 2021, and BMW service centers will perform the update free of charge. You can also check the status of your BMW by calling their customer service at 1-800-525-7417 or visit BMW’s recall page.